Collection: Part 3

Reflection

Dream of the Red Chamber

IMG_1272.JPG

Dream of the chamber drama 1987

Sustainability

FullSizeRender-4.jpg.4

Visit to Bernard Jacbson Gallery and Sotheby's Gallery

FullSizeRender-4 copy 2.jpg

27.07.2017

IMG_1420.JPGFullSizeRender-4 copy 2.jpg.3

• Methods and materials

Today I begin to identify a range of different methods that I can have access to, and starting to plan and organise myself on what I should be doing during class and when at home. Furthermore I begin o look more at things that are surrounded to me and finding that this can be related into my project which from his I discovered that I can always gain resources and ideas, not just only from going to the library or to the exhibitions but from observing the things that are with me in my daily life, looking at the shapes and the colours. 

Collage Day

Red

31.07.2017

From todays tutorial I begin to reflect on what do I want actually to explore on and how I'm going to develop my work further reflecting on my concepts. I started to look at how can this be reflected on my garments. I begin to develop mind map in order to clarify my mind, this continued by researching at different artist which linked into my thoughts.

From his I learned that I need a range amount of research in order to create something new, it isn't only about looking at only the concept and focusing just on that, however thinking also about materials, colours and symbols that can convey my concepts which I found out that everything is linked together in order to get a strong project.  Moreover I begin to focus how this can be important in my discipline and what do I want the viewer to see when looking at my work.

I felt puzzled on finding ways to do primary research which I have to structure better. 

Whole day RESEARCH

Research Development

02.08.2017

In continuation

03.08.2017

Looking at the growth of the flowers.

Personally I enjoy at observing on different flowers because it remains always in heart as they always appears in everyday life, I like to gather different types and colours of flowers because I want to express the idea of remembrance and the personal sweetness of youth and creativity with them. 

White Cube Exhibition/Dreamers Awake, Bermondsey

08.08.2017/ Drapping Day

FullSizeRender-5 copy 5.jpg

Drapping Day

Focusing on the shape and silhouette, the idea of conveying a dreamlike effect by creating loose and vague sensations to the viewer. It was a productive day as it helped me to clarify better my mind, narrowing my ideas and the starting to develop my thinking on the garments. Furthermore by playing around with different positions on the mannequin, helped me to be more open minded, having more selections that I can further explore on. 

09.08.2017

Contextual Practice

I bought stockings

'Headache 2'

Although I enjoy playing around with the placement of stockings on the mannequin and  felt happy with the final shape development of the patterns however I struggled on how this can be sustained on the body, as it will shrink off once they are taken out of the mannequin. From peers suggestion, I was thinking on creating another layer of the fabric on the body and placing the stockings on the fabric however the feeling I wan to evoke will be different.

Development Process 'Not sure'

11.08.2017

14.08.2017

Photoshop Workshop

During this session it was really hard to follow up each of the photoshop steps as there was a lot of techniques going on however I understood how to manipulate the photos in order to create creative pages which I find it really useful. Equally one particular aspect I felt confused about is when approaching to the type of design I aim to create which I have to further think about. 

Personally producing an A3 poster is useful for this project because it allows the viewer to understand better my work and to present my work in a more professional way. It will be useful for me to write it in a professional way in order to clarify the main purpose for this project.

Also I think is important for my external viewers to have an individual perception or judgement when looking at my work, presenting my work in an accomplished way will help me in the future as it enables me to be more visually creative.  I think photoshop is key in order to process in future careers because it helps me to develop my work in a more creative way, being more distinctive and producing pieces of work that are alternative. 

Pattern Making/ Development

16.08.2017

SCALE

At first I was planning on to develop tiny prints on the garment, however I found out that this could not catch the attention of the viewer as everything would be tiny and small. So I further develop them on bigger prints, and creating layers of fabric on top to emphasise a dreamlike sensation. From the print workshop I begin to house on the colour combination, considering on my concept and what do I want the viewers to perceive. 

Contextual Practice/Activities

17.08.2017

Contextual practice,

I find it very helpful to analyse text as it enables me to develop my thinkings not only by visual imagery but also by looking at the context. 

18.08.2017

Thursday, Print Workshop

From going to the print workshop , I understood that the materials of the fabric are very important as each pattern on the garment can vary and this can emphasise different senses to the viewer. Furthermore I really enjoyed doing screen printing because I found it very interesting how I can play with different colour variations but also having in mind the scale of each pattern, thinking about the size of the prints and how this can be on the body, which I was able to produce during the print session as it  enabled me to have  bigger scale.  

One thing that I found it very interesting is how I can colour the prints on the garment with another colour, which this excited me very much because I can now use my fine art skills and apply them on to my prints in order to create more interesting pieces of work.

Prints on garment

Main Focus

• SCALE
  • SIZE

Process development

21.08.2017

Embroidery,

From doing embroidery with vibrant colours bead are to emphasise a luxurious feeling because it creates a careful and sensitive sensation to the viewer. From the workshop I was able to create different samples of different embroidery looking at the contrast between the textures and colours. Moreover I begin to embroider on the prints on the garment in order to create a contrast which this catches directly the viewers attention. 

Friday, Shape

Today I begin to create patterns of the printed garments using the mannequin, I plan to use only one pattern  that is the green water seed printed on a nude silky fabric , because it emphasises purity, the idea of conveying femininity and at the same time symbolising a quality of clarity, freshness and freedom from adulteration. Moreover I tried in creating a loose and floppy feeling because I indeed to show the sense of insecurity, something that can escape, something not permanent. 

'Haut'(Top)

24.08.2017/

Today I was struggling on how to continue with the lower part of my garment, as I aimed for a more large scale outcome I started to think on thinking using tights. I begin to cut the tights in different floral shapes and starting to ion this because it makes it look more deliberate and delicate. Also from sewing them together I found out that I can play around with the different positioning.

25 shapes of cut off tights in one piece

Finishing

Nude

25.08.2017/ Final Workshop Day

Continuing with the process of developing my garments, I build up my garments on a vertical shape as it creates a drippy feeling. Moreover I used red thick threads to sustain the top to create a contrast between the nude colours highlighting  the wealth with the rawness. 

From the tutorial, I was thinking weather to create one more layer with the tights covering the printed garment in order to make it more bigger and visually more interesting. However I'm concerned if there will be too much things going on,  which will be unable to capture the focus of the garment. 

Photoshop Experimentation for the publication

Final photoshoot

'The end is the beginning, '

24.07.2017

My initial idea for this project its from a Chinese book called 'Dream of the Red Chamber' written during the Qing dynasty by CaoXueqing, it stayed in my mind a deep conscious thought. The different characters and their acts conveys ideas that appears much in nowadays society. This gave me the inspiration to reflect on this book and think about how nature and character can influence the way you treat the society and the destiny 

During class I started to research about the book, the idea that there isn't heaven or hell but life will go to the point where it started from, the point is to recognise itself. From this project I want to highlight the importance of understanding yourself and being oneself, as it is the only way to feel the great life of the universe and the value of the existence. When looking at the book, at first I started to like to compare each character, however as the novel continues I begin to realise that there isn't good or bad characters but the sense that the nature and the way they have been educated influences its personality. This after formulated the idea and research further on origin and end of creation.

Photo from Beijing, The Forbidden city

25.07.2017

From mornings presentation I begin to clarify my mind and narrowing my ideas, thinking about what do I want to express and convey to the viewer. I learn that this is the only way to gain  purpose for my work and the only way to be useful. Working individually and continuing with my research on the different themes I started to look at different ideas and how this can be shown in my work, the idea that how can be kept in a visually interested way. 

26.07.2017

I learn from going to different galleries that fashion can be also linked with fine art, as long as there is a meaning and can convey deep thoughts to the viewer. I begin to look at different fine artist painting in relation with the my research. Each of them having a different style of working however all of them working in a very abstract way. I focused mostly on the meaning behind the canvases and also my own personal feelings when looking at it. I really liked the Sotheby's Exhibition, not just looking at the simplistic paintings but the thoughts of it, which this interacts much with my thoughts that I want to evoke. When walking through the exhibition, I felt  a sense of lost and confusion almost as if I was in the middle of nowhere which this created a powerful impact. The second exhibition that really interested me was the Victoria Miro exhibition, from there I looked at the french artist Henri-Matisse and his  colour expressions creating vibrancy and life.

Wednesday, Milton Avery 1943

Personally I really like this piece of work because the simplistic colours on the surface makes the whole piece look very calmful creating a comfortable sense. The light colours of the boat contrasted with the black background shows as if the boat is floating on the air which this makes me feel loose and as the same time sense of lost and confusion.

IMG_1220.JPG.3

George Darrell

IMG_1880.JPGIMG_1874.JPG

• Movement in colours
  • Abstraction

To be honest the exhibition did not help much for my project, however focusing on some of the abstraction of the sculptures and the colours used, I found it very interesting surrealist sensation, which kept me to want observe more carefully each object. 

Wednesday, observational drawings in the museum

2, 'The forbidden city'

Sunny day

Looking at the theme of identity. Matisse tells the story of his life,memories of his happy childhood,and introducing along the way a series of oil canvases.

Matisse experienced the involuntary recall of time and moments, which this influences me to look at thing that I'am surrounded with. His paintings are  enriched and deepened with feelings, textures, and construction, enhancing the realistic and satirical elements.

28.07.2017

IMG_1318.JPG

Presentation on the morning helped me to reflect on my project, how can I develop them into a sustainable way, thinking in all parts of concepts and being aware with it. I understood that the making process is not such an important part as the thinking need to be focused more in order to create deeper thoughts for the viewer. It is not just about the looking of the outcome but the research and the meaning of it is more important. In class I begin to research artist different from my discipline as long as it links to my concepts.

'Headache'

IMG_1596.JPG

01.08.2017

After tutorial and deep research, I discovered that by creating a mind map I can clarify my mind, and find a solution to continue with this project as every point links with each other. From the help of the tutors I structured better my concept relating better into my discipline. The thing that I was mostly concerned was about the time management, because even thou we have 5 weeks to finish this project however I feel like time is going really fast but my work amount is not enough, which I will further create a timetable in order to organise myself better.

My concept project improved much by the help of other practitioners and going to the library, because it led me to create new thinking and ways of methods to develop my work, as I'm focusing more on a historical part I started to think how this can be linked into nowadays society and how can this be linked into my discipline, which this made me to search recent news and the new approaches in the society 

02.08.2017/Contextual Practice

I found it very exciting so far in developing my proposal because it helps to clarify my mind better, narrowing down my thinkings and ideas, another thing that I really enjoyed when writing the proposal is when finding which part of research do I need to add. Also it help me to plan ahead , which this end up with the conclusion on being more clear and precise with my work.  Equally I struggled much on planing to do primary research, as my ideas where more based in the past and focusing on the book' Dream of the chamber' however opinions from the peer led me to record photos from the everyday life, focusing on colours and textures , also recording people around that can emphasise my concept ideas. Another I have in mind with is how Im going to create influence to the viewer and how my garment s can create an impact to the society, which I have to think clearly, however with time development, my project started to look more health and with the amount of research I'm developing I hope to create  a successful outcome.

Furthermore from the mapping I did this morning, I think I have to be more aware how to link this project from my personal context. 

Peers idea suggestion 03.08.2017

03.08.2017

I find it very helpful today because it gave me the opportunity to look at others peoples ideas and their first reactions when looking at my theme which this helped me to enrich my knowledge and to be more open minded when researching. I found out that a lot of people told me to focus more on contemporary designers and compare and contrast my ideas from he past with the modern society, thus I started to expand my concepts in order improve the project.

Furthermore I found it very interesting to know what other people are doing,  which this help me to look at how they take in control of their own projects.

Website where I do research

Primary Research/ 06.08.2017- 07.08.2017

Primary Research/ 06.08.2017

I begin to take inspiration mainly from my everyday life, recording things in an abstract way. I was trying to capture a dream like effect by focusing on the movement of the objects which from this I learned that I can take inspiration from everything, it doesn't need to be representational. I found that I can rather seeks to portray to the viewer my concepts using shapes, colours, and textures. 

1

2, An Illusion of purity

3, Blurry whiteness

4, Sour or Sweet?

5, Space and time

Materials workshop 09.08

During todays class I learn to look closely at my materials and how they can evoke different feelings and be interpreted differently through the viewers eyes. I started to consider on looking at materials that are translucent and bright because this can create a highlight to the viewers eyes and can convey a luxurious sensation.

I choose tiny beads instead of huge ones because I want to emphasise an exquisite feeling to the viewer the idea of capturing the importance of different qualities. I will maintain a sustainable garment that is soft and delicate garment,using silk and transparent materials  conveying somehow fragility but at the same time an unbreakable sensation. Thus I will incorporate embroidery and print in order to strengthen the whole look of the garment.

From initial experimentation on the sketchbook I was planning on using velvet instead of silk in order to convey the idea of wealth and nobility, however I found out that this can be replace by using shining beads embroidered on the silk fabric, which this both can create a sensation of illusion and at the same time wealth. 

10.08.2017/ Abstraction

I decided to use  stockings because I really like  the soft delicate material when touching it, conveying a sense of fragility. Furthermore I'm interested on the nude and simple colours on the skin which this creates a pure and calm sensation. I want to convey the idea of remaining visible things to the viewer, because stockings are transparent to the skin it makes me feel as if they cannot prevent emotions and feelings to other people. I plan to further add  more layers because I want the viewer to observe at my work in a closer way and to question the idea of identity, the idea that its just about an impression. Moreover I want to emphasise the idea that it can't be hidden and kept in secret.

Development of stockings

'Not sure'

'One day making'

Today I focused on developing a full garment by experimenting with different positioning on the mannequin, this help me to play around with different ideas and see how it will be. However I plan to add on different fabric materials and textures in order to bring contrast on them as I think it looks very boring and it cannot express my concepts entirely. 

Target-

• Further thinkings on the selection of the fabric
  • Arrangement of the fabrics
  • Prints and embroidery
  • How can it be sustainable on the body

InDesign Workshop/15.08.2017

Pattern thinking, Primary research gather

Green, freedom

Water Seed

Photoshop Day

I struggled much during the process of creating a poster for the project because it was quiet hard for me to understand the approach with photoshop. Equally I develop my skills on using photoshop, I tried to overlap my own pictures and images form artists  in order to make a connection between them which this can show clearly the link go them. Moreover I played around on adjusting lighter tones and colours of the images because I wanted to create a more transparent look to the viewer. 

19.08.2017

Base

Layer 2

Layer 3

22.08.2017/ workshop day

Pattern Making Day,

I wanted to emphasise a mysterious sensation by creating amounts of garment layered together because this gives a hidden feeling to the viewer, as each of them has been covered by another until the last layer is showed with wealthiness and nobility. Thus conveying the idea that we cannot see the truth fulfilment as it has been covered by perfunctory.

Furthermore the patterns are loose and delicate portraying a dreamlike sensation, the idea that abundance and prosperity are not secure, however purity and freshness are printed on the body the same like the water seeds that has been printed on the garment which this shows the idea that its something from inside, they cannot be changed.

Build up

Process development

Lower Part

28.08.2017

Bank Holiday, Home

Today I begin to  wrap up the project, finishing the last details of the garment. Although I did not begin doing my publication as I focus more on preparing for the photoshoot, thinking on the make up and the model. 

29.08.2017/ Book design Workshop

From today's presentation I begin to think about the type of design I want to create for my publication,because different layout of images on the page creates altered feeling to the viewer. Furthermore I decided to play around with photoshop as I understood that not only the layout is important but also the images itself is important too.

Moreover I learn that  the typewrite on the page have to suit the images, in order to create interesting composition. 

30.08.2017, Photoshoot Day

'Excited '

Behind the scenes

30.08.2017

Personally I'am quiet happy with the final outcome because my principal aims reached, the prints on the garment came out successfully evoking this idea of purity and simplicity. The mixed material work well creating a sensation of freedom and liberty. 

However if I had more time for this project  I will rethink on conveying in a clear way my idea of different symbols  that represents different identity in ancient China because I found out that its not easy for the viewers to understand this concept.

enrileNeomeIA
09 October 2017, 2:54 PM
enrileNeomeIA
09 October 2017, 8:06 PM
enrileNeomeIA
09 October 2017, 11:44 PM
enrileNeomeIA
10 October 2017, 11:20 AM
enrileNeomeIA
10 October 2017, 1:16 PM
5 comments